Saturday, March 31, 2012

Russian Hill History




  • There are many natural springs on the hill.
  • The underlying rock is sandstone and shale (both are earthquake-resistant).
  • From the east side of the hill, sea lions can often be heard barking at Pier 39.
  • The wild parrots that nest on Telegraph Hill often fly over to Russian Hill, especially to Havens Street and the Greenwich Stairs.
  • Other birds seen frequently on the hill are quail, mockingbirds, warblers, and bluebirds.

Filbert St. Grade – Filbert between Hyde and Leavenworth has a 31-1/2% grade, tied for the steepest in the city along with 22nd Street between Church and Vicksburg.  In contrast, the crooked block of Lombard, two blocks south of Filbert, was 27% before its grade was reduced to 16% in the early 1920s.


http://www.rhn.org/historynorthslopeII.html





Before the Gold Rush, this hill was a goat pasture with an old cemetery where Russian seal hunters had buried their dead. Children who climbed the hill to play among the overgrown graves first gave the area the name "Russian Hill." But the name was officially recognized only after it hosted the City's first legal execution, the hanging of convicted murderer Jose Forni in 1852. After that, the hill hosted a whole series of hangings.
--Dr. Weirde
http://foundsf.org/index.php?title=Russian_Hill_Hangings

2 comments:

  1. Interesting history! I downloaded some photos from 1938 over the years to present. It shows the reservoir, the construction of tennis courts, trees coming in, disappearing, etc. If I can figure out how to upload the darn things, I will do that. - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting history! I downloaded some photos from 1938 over the years to present. It shows the reservoir, the construction of tennis courts, trees coming in, disappearing, etc. If I can figure out how to upload the darn things, I will do that. - Chris

    ReplyDelete